The Lockwood House (c1837) has it all All the charm and the romance of Charleston's Historic Homes, and right on the breathtaking waterfront in historic downtown!
This is it -- It just doesn’t get any better than this!
Two long and beautiful Charleston columned porches overlooking endless water and sailboats in every direction and from every window! Incredible views!
Enjoy a glass of wine and hors d’oeuvres every evening on the 2nd
level piazza to watch the sunset over the water! These are the best views in Charleston!
This charming Federal Style house has been carefully restored with attention to every detail. This is historic Charleston:
- Beautiful hardwood floors in every room 2nd and 3rd floor levels are original c1837.
- Restored fireplaces. Have two of them working for a romantic "winter' evening in front of a cozy fire.
- Beautiful, handmade plaster moldings from England decorate the living room, dining room, and hall. Wood moldings are in all other rooms.
- Center ceiling plaster medallions suspend lovely chandeliers.
- Gorgeous modern kitchen with tile floors, new SS Gallery appliances, incredible custom-made cabinets with breathtaking granite counter tops! Also 1/2 bath.
- The charming master bedroom suite has a sitting area, a wall of custom-made closets, fireplace mantle, a beautiful bathroom with an oversized antique tub on feet and an antique large oak sink commode. Plus there is a large walk-in closet. Enjoy a luxury soak in this tub!
- The original attached carriage house area of the house serves as a lovely private guest suite with its own living room, dining room, bedroom, bath, and separate entrance.
- Quaint 3rd floor has 2 bedrooms and a full bath.
- The large front room can be used as a recreation room/office/library/bedroom with working fireplace.
- The Charleston Federal Style exterior has been a dream of easy maintenance: The 100% replacement of all siding with 30-year warranty pressure-treated siding, back and front primed with several finish coats -- all with de-mold in the paint (so no mold grows!).
- The entire house is fully insulated and completely modern Tyveked!! Plus storm windows! So the interior is nearly soundproof and stays very clean and easy to maintain.
- There are 3 HVAC systems, 2 of which are new in '06 and under full warranty. There is also an April Air System on the main house helping maintain a very easy to clean house!
- If you enjoy traveling and are gone from your residence -- you will love the beautiful 6' tall Charleston iron fence that surrounds this entire downtown residence.
- There are beautiful, working Charleston shutters on every window to close up the entire house in 20 minutes for a bad storm!
- There is a large concrete driveway.
- This large romantic house with large Charleston Piazza's is perfect for entertaining guests, cocktail parties, etc. This house has it all and more!
If you want to easily enjoy and be part of all the wonderful activities of the historic district, the symphony, the ballet, the market, the shopping, the restaurants and fabulous dining, as well as all the special events happening daily in the historic district -- then this is your dream house!
This Federal Style Charleston Single Home is located in the Downtown Historic District of Charleston, South Carolina. It is on the Ashley River with a unobstructed view from the front porch, or the large upper deck. This house is ideal for your new home, or a vacation home.
The Downtown Historic District is 15-20 minutes from the beaches. The Beaches are Folly Beach and the Isle of Palms Beach. The area itself is actually a peninsula formed by the Ashley and Cooper Rivers. They unite and flow out to the Atlantic Ocean. There is a marina across the street where you can dock your boat within walking distance. We have included area maps at the bottom of this page.
The original structure of the house was built in 1837 and is considered historic by the city. It has 12 rooms, 3.5 baths and 3 floors, and is approximately 3,500 square feet. It is located on a corner lot approximately 60' by 140'. Technically considered two houses, reflected in the deed, the main house and a carriage house have been combined into a large single home. The house is divided allowing you to rent out part of the house, or use it for your guests if so desired.
- Alarm System
- Sun Water Filter System in Kitchen
- April Air Allergy Filter on the main HVAC unit
- Storm Windows
- Working Hurricane Shutters
- TY-PAR insulation wrap on the entire house
- All siding on the house was replaced with Pressure Treated Lumber
- Stain glass window with purple wisteria flower design
- Piazza Porch with false door
- 5 chandeliers
- 5 ceiling fans with light fixtures
- Fountain Area